Saturday, October 18, 2008

Our Family Lullaby

All the kids in our family grew up hearing our Mom sing us a lullaby. I doubt if any of us could sing all the words, but we knew the tune, we knew many of the lyrics, and we could, and did, sing it to our children.

My brother Jim and I were talking about how we had each looked on the internet for the song and were unable to find the song or the lyrics. Rose got on the internet and found it in about 5 minutes. What a treasure it was for me to hear it and to see all the words. Thank you Rose.

Turns out it was a #1 hit for Perry Como in 1947. It makes since that this was a lullaby that Mom would sing. You see, she became a mother in 1947. This was a #1 song at the time. Then came Carole etc. Regardless, I wish it was possible for you to enjoy hearing it...as much as I enjoyed it. The only thing better would have been to hear my Mother sing it one more time.






Chi-Baba, Chi-Baba (My Bambino Go to Sleep)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


"Chi-Baba, Chi-Baba (My Bambino Go to Sleep)" is a popular song.
It was written by Mack David, Jerry Livingston, and Al Hoffman and published in 1947.
The song was popularized by Perry Como in 1947. The recording was released by RCA Victor Records as catalog number 20-2259. The record first reached the Billboard magazine charts on May 30, 1947 and lasted 12 weeks on the chart, peaking at #1. The flip side of the record, "When You Were Sweet Sixteen," was also a big hit, reaching #2 on the chart. [1]
Other recordings were made by Peggy Lee, by Blue Barron, and by The Charioteers about the same time.


Many a year ago in old Sorrento
a certain ditty was quite the thing
Whenever a mother rocked her baby in Sorrento
this little ditty she used to sing:

Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
An' chi-lawa kook-a la goombah
Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
my bambino go to sleep!

Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
An' chi-lawa kook-a la goombah
Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
my bambino go to sleep!

All the stars are in the skies ready to say "goodnight"
can't you see your doll is sleepy, too?
Close your drowsy little eyes, mama will hold you tight
while she sings a lullaby to you:

Oh, chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
An' chi-lawa kook-a la goombah
Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
my bambino go to sleep!

( Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa, and chi-lawa )
Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
An' chi-lawa kook-a la goombah ( la goombah! )
Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
my bambino go to sleep!

( Chi, chi, chi-baba! )
Chi, chi, chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
An' chi-lawa kook-a la goombah ( la goombah! )
Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
my bambino go to sleep!

All the stars are in the skies ready to say "goodnight, goodnight"
can't you see your doll is sleepy, too?
Close your drowsy little eyes, mama will hold you tight
while she sings a lullaby to you, ever so sweetly!

Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
An' chi-lawa kook-a la goombah ( la la goombah! chi-baba! )
Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
my bambino go to sleep!

Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
my bambino go to sleep!
Chi-baba, chi-baba, chi-wawa
my bambino . . .
go to sleep!

(I took the audio off...If you want the audio let me know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment