Thursday, October 2, 2008

What is the manly thing to do?

We went to town the other day. The Big City of Boise. The wife and daughter are avid readers. Me? Not so much! But they wanted to stop at Barnes and Noble and look for some books. So we did. Now, they wanted to go and search for their books, and so I said go ahead, I'll just take the baby and his car seat and find a place to sit and wait for you all to find your books. So I headed toward the back, hoping to find a less populated area to sit in case Ethan decided to start squawking...as he is sometimes known to do. And, sure enough, I found a bench at the back of the store by the magazine rack and it was perfect as there was hardly anybody around. I sat Ethan on the bench and straddled the bench facing him and was browsing a book I seen sitting on a nearby rack. I would occassionally check Ethan, but he was being good and not making any noise. Well, after a while, I looked up and scanned the area and noticed that several men had entered the magazine area and were looking at the magazines. Well, there I was sitting on the bench with a baby and all the other men were looking at Sports Illustrated and American Hunter and Motorcross etc. Suddenly I felt a little out of place. There were no women in the area, and certainly no infants. There I was sitting on the bench reading a poetry book and watching the baby. At first I felt a little out of place...thinking I should be up there looking at the newest edition of Macho Man Monthly. But I didn't. I just looked at my handsome little man and threw him a kiss and went about my business. Really, what could be more Macho than being a father to your son. Knowing that he is totally dependent on his mother and father to take care of him and meet his needs.
Ethan is an awesome little man. I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment