Friday, January 9, 2009

The Wonder Years. Not!

One never really knows what the human mind is going to remember. Especially when trying to recall events that happened some 40 years ago. Still, when I looked at that old photo of Beth and me...my old dinosaur brain kind of got an adrenaline burst. My mind was jumping from event to event and idea to idea so fast, I was even confusing myself. [OK, so that's pretty easy]

So, I took a step back and decided that the tiny few who actually read this blog, would probably get a lot more satisfaction from the reading, if I organized my thoughts a bit. Now I assure you this is not the beginning of another writing like the 'Wonder Years'. Even if it was, it would not be the 'Wonder' of the years; but more likely the: 'I wonder what the hell that kid was thinking' years?

I grew up in a small town in Northwestern corner of Colorado. The town was named Craig, and it actually has a very historic connection to my family. Not many people in this country can lay hold to the fact that their grandparents, or parents, homesteaded land in the United States of America. Well, my family can. The claim is thanks to my grandfather Art Gardner and his son Don Gardner. Of course, all that homesteading took place long before that picture of Beth and me was taken. I myself have never attempted any actual homesteading. Still...I do have that 'determined' look in my eye's...Wouldn't you agree?

Now Craig was really not all that small. The population was about 4000 when I was roaming the streets. To me however, it was huge. Now if you want to talk small town, then we should talk about the country where Art and Don homesteaded. When they went to town, they traveled down a rocky road to Greystone Colorado. There they could pick up the mail and get supplies. There was a sign as you entered Greystone that said: [Greystone: Population 2]. Greystone had the only working gas pump I had ever seen, or have seen since, where you measured the amount of gas you were purchasing visually. A customer would hand pump the gas up into the glass jar, and then disperse it via gravity into their vehicle. Hey, I saw it with my own eyes. Oh man, have we come a long way baby?!

The gas pump was along these lines:


There will be time for homestead stories I imagine. I really just want to provide a little history for some of you who have not heard the family tale before. The photo of Beth and me was taken when I was in the 5th grade. That would have made me about 10 or perhaps 11.

I was born in the month of October. So, when it came time to start Kindergarten, I was almost old enough to go when school started in September...but almost was not good enough and I had to wait another year to start. So, instead on starting when I was 4, and being age 5 throughout the majority of the school year, I had to wait until I was 5 to start, and was age 6 through the majority of Kindergarten. And, it was that way all my life. I was always the oldest in my class. And while most kids were 17 when graduating from High School. I was the older classman at 18. But I'm not bitter. I'm over it. I doesn't bother me much anymore. Actually, looking back, I think it made me a better student.

Craig! The town where I spent my elemantary school years. I remember the winters were hard. On the evening news with Chet & David, Craig was often listed as the coldest town in the Continental United States. The snow was heavy, but then again, I rode my first snow machine in Craig. It was a real Ski-doo! Probably considered vintage now days. Sledding was a fun memory too. Lots of winter sports. Well, that should give you a little glimpse into the Big Little City of Craig. I hope you enjoy hearing about the adventures of Scinton Clinton.

No comments:

Post a Comment